Sunday 20 December 2015

ACCRA

where my Sub-Saharan African adventure started...

My first experience arriving in Accra....
The first time when I arrived at the airport some guys of Volu (the Ghanaian Voluntary Organization) picked me up from the airport. They brought me in the dark to a secondary school where I could sleep. At the moment I arrived it was totally dark, there was no electricity and there was nobody around in the school. The guys left me there and said to me 'You are totally safe here. We will come back in the morning and show you where you are'.
I looked for a bed in one of the unlocked dormitories and tried to sleep and experienced 'how dark Africa and can be'. There was no light and no noise till in the night I heard some people walking up the stairs. They entered my dormitory with a flashlight to look who has sneaked in. I found out that they were also European volunteers just coming back home and sleeping in of the dormitories next door.

After a few weeks coming back from the voluntary project I made a lot of friends and could stay with Ghanaian volunteers and their families all over the country. So I did in back Accra and Madina just north of Accra. The hospitality of the Ghanaian people was absolutely amazing.

Accra is a

The last time in 2003 I came to Accra only for two days at the start of my Africa overland trip. In those two days I could see that since my first visits in the 1980s a lot has changed. A pity I couldn't meet any of my old friends. I knew that some moved out of the country, of some I lost the addresses and some died.



lively city. All the four times I came to Ghana I stayed in Accra for a few days or longer. The more often I came back, the more I liked the city. It's a rather easygoing place.

Accra by sachara

No comments:

Post a Comment